Monday, August 23, 2010

Shame on us...

Do you see through the eyes?

Photos by: Steve McCurry


Have you ever met that one person who could make such an impact on your life? Well i did..Some time ago i was invited for dinner by a friend, a simple, humble, grateful, beautiful individual who made me ponder on the question of why? ohhh whyy? do i and many of us bloggers care so much on material possessions? i really wish i could be the girl who walks out of the door dressing effortlessly, makeup less, opinion caring less and brand less. Is this really what defines me and you?  sadly i think to some extent it does...you may not want to believe it but just imagine yourself without any "beautifying" possessions (I'm talking really dodgy style) i know i would feel pretty crap. However its contradictory because i admire the dodgy styled girl as to me she depicts purity. 

So after much pondering Ive decided to start on a little voyage to simplicity :) 
Indeed this will be a difficult voyage for such a shopaholic like me, hence Ive started reading the novel "No Logo" written by Naomi Klein in order to persuade myself that Brand names are for pathetic marketing victims (like myself)^_^ (i mean don't you realise paying an extra $40 for the letters CK sewn onto a t-shirt is manipulative?)

Id like to share with you some photos taken by my favourite photographer Steve McCurry who captures  emotions  through his lens... for some reason these pictures touch me as it almost seems as though you can feel the hope, sadness and despair through the eyes of these girls from both poverty and the aftermath of civil war. 
I hope by staring into these girls eyes your heart is enlightened to take a step and donate a little to Human appeal international to make this a better world (Nadiah sings Michael Jacksons' "heal the world")  :)
"Never mind searching for who you are.  Search for the person you aspire to be". Robert Brault

  "One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star".  G.K. Chesterton
  

7 comments:

  1. I love the teal scarf the girl is wearing, see you dont need brand names :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalaamu' Alaykum

    Nice entry sis. I too am feeling this. I've went through a lot of my belongs last week and sorted out the things I do and do not want, but I'm still holding on to a lot even though Im giving a lot. I want to be less materialistic, I don't believe that I'm really attached to materialistic things but I do enjoy them often. SubhanAllah if we can dissociate the feeling of happiness and self worth with possessions then insha' Allah we can live a life with less stress. The more you have you have/ want the more you are trying to maintain or get what you desire. Plus it helps push Shaytaan out of our hearts too.

    So what are your plans for this journey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. Mostly, I refuse, just refuse to wear/use brand names. Unless they are on sale of course!

    I will be following your journey for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. so so true and the pictures are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read her book "The Beauty Myth"? It's very good too. Just stumbled across your blog, love your photos and style :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almanella: hmm im not too sure where to start really but for sure i will shop less :) as ive realised that were never really content with any purchase..once you buy something your mind lingers on the next lustful item hehe.

    Houda and sakeenah: thanks for the comments :D

    Chloe: Thanks for the compliments (nadiah blushes hehe) no i havent read that book HOWEVER i think it'll be the next book i read :)

    xoxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your perseverance. I feel like I'm really attached to a lot of material things. I've spent sooo much on clothes, shoes, etc. that I don't even know what to do with them all anymore! I've got to check that book out! Thanks! (:

    ReplyDelete